Building Science - Building Condition Assessment (BCA's)
What you need to know about Building Condition Assessments (BCA)
Pinchin Environmental gives you the facts on the most cost-effective strategy to managing your building maintenance
What is a BCA?
It’s an inspection and evaluation of the condition of your facility(ies). Pinchin Environmental BCAs are completed in general conformance with the American Society for Testing and Materials (ASTM) Practice E2018 – 01, “Standard Guide for Property Condition Assessments: Baseline Property
Condition Assessments Process.” A Pinchin BCA includes the following:
- Inspection of building envelope (roof,walls, window systems, doors), interior finishes, electrical/mechanical systemsand accessible structural components
- Assessment of fire/life safety and exterior site features (i.e., walkways,roadways, parking, landscaping, etc.)
- Written and photographic documentation of each component together with observed deficiencies
- Review of general documentation on repair/maintenance history of the elements, if available
- Cursory review of drawings and/or previous reports pertaining to the building, if available
- Interviews and discussions with on-site staff regarding repairs/maintenance conducted on the building
- Compilation of Pinchin’s findings in a formal written report including observed deficiencies, together with a list of recommendations for repair/replacement with associated estimated costs
Why should I have a BCA?
BCAs are done at the time of building purchase, or for due diligence, risk management, or to support re-financing. BCA’s are also performed for asset management purposes or renewal planning. A BCA can also be a useful and cost-effective tool when you’re concerned about occupant health, safety and comfort, or about escalating and frequent repair bills on the facility, or concern about code compliance. A BCA performed by Pinchin Environmental experts can provide you with a customized maintenance strategy that will maximize the life of the building’s systems, and give you a cost-efficient replacement program designed to fit your financial concerns and goals. A BCA is a smart way to extend building life and reduce repair and maintenance costs.
What other related services may be useful to me?
Pinchin also has extensive knowledge and experience in conducting:
- Reserve Fund Studies to develop long-terms capital budget planning of expenditures for major repairs or replacement of building components and equipment
- Energy audits using industry-leading technology and methods
- LEED certification (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design—the Green Building Rating System that provides standards for environmentally sustainable construction)
Pinchin’s BCA Services
Pinchin offers the following services for Property Owners and Managers, Asset Managers, Financial Institutions, Mortgage Companies, Investor Groups; Developers, Government Institutions, and Health Care Facilities:
- Roofing assessments, repairand replacement
- Parking garage assessments, repair and replacement
- High-rise curtain wall and balcony repair and replacement
- Large-scale window, skylight and door replacements
- Foundation assessments
- Penthouses, including mechanical room assessments, repair and replacement
- Environmental site assessment and management
- Due diligence